Nemanja Vidic to leave Manchester United at end of season

Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic will leave at the end of this season.

The 32-year-old Serbia defender made his United debut in 2006, but his contract expires in the summer.

He told United's website:  "I'm not considering staying in England as the only club I ever wanted to play for here is Manchester United.

"I never could have imagined winning 15 trophies. However, I have decided I will move on at the end of this season. I want to challenge myself again."

Vidic, whose £7m move to Old Trafford from Spartak Moscow was announced on Christmas Day 2005, captained United to the their historic 20th top-flight title last season - his fifth and the last under Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I have had eight wonderful years here," he added.

"My time at this great club will always rank as the best years of my career.

"I will certainly never forget that fantastic night in Moscow [when United beat Chelsea to win the 2008 Champions League], memories that will live with me and the fans for ever."