Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mechanic scoops £108m lottery prize

Neil Trotter named £108m Euromillions lottery winner

Euromillions lottery winner Neil Trotter says he predicted his win

A car mechanic who is also a racing driver has been revealed as the winner of £107.9m on the Euromillions lottery.

Neil Trotter, 41, of Coulsdon, south London, who runs a repair garage in Mitcham called Chameleon Coachworks, scooped the jackpot on Friday.

He was so confident he would win he told staff at his father's office on Friday lunchtime, "this time tomorrow" he would be a multi-millionaire.

His lucky ticket made him the National Lottery's fourth biggest winner.

He is the first EuroMillions jackpot winner from the UK this year.

Self-confessed motor racing fanatic Mr Trotter came sixth last summer in the BMW Compact Cup as a newcomer.

He now plans to retire as a mechanic and follow his passion for British touring car racing.

"I'm taking time off and going to really enjoy following the British Touring Car Championships," he said.

"It's my passion and I wouldn't mind a guest driver slot if I can find the right car."

He said he planned to replace his Ford Focus with a fleet of supercars, adding: "I'm going to need a lot of garage space at the new house."

The EuroMillions Lucky Dip ticket was bought from Londis store in Wallington, south London, and the winning numbers were 6, 24, 25, 27, 30 and Lucky Stars 5 and 9.

Mr Trotter learnt he was the single ticket-holder to scoop the massive jackpot on Friday at about 22:30 GMT.

"I've always thought I'd win big and I'd had a good feeling all week," he said.

"On Friday evening we were sitting at home when I checked the time and thought the draw must have taken place by now.

Car mechanic and racing driver Neil Trotter, with partner Nicky Ottaway The mechanic is the National Lottery's fourth biggest winner

"I took out my ticket to check the winning numbers and amazingly one by one they matched," he said.

"I told Nicky, my partner, 'I've done it, I've won the lottery'.

"But she told me to shut up and to stop being an idiot.

"Apparently I turned white as a sheet and couldn't sit still, I kept walking round the house - I didn't know what to do with myself. I got her to check the numbers with me and she started screaming.

"Next we called my dad but he said I was being an idiot too. It took him a while to realise we were serious. My dad's not often lost for words but he was on Friday night."

'Only Fools and Horses jokes'

Neil and his partner of eight years Nicky Ottaway, 33, finally went to bed at about 03:00 GMT but he said he had a restless night before calling Camelot first thing.

Car mechanic and racing driver Neil Trotter, with partner Nicky Ottaway, Neil Trotter will become the 745th richest person in the UK

Mr Trotter said he was aware some people could joke about his surname and the fact he had become a millionaire.

"Me and my dad thought we'd heard all the Only Fools and Horses jokes but I can see this is going to run and run," he said.

"Still, being Trotters we were always going to be millionaires one day."

Top of the National Lottery rich list are Colin and Chris Weir, from Largs in Scotland, who won a £161m EuroMillions jackpot in 2011.

The second largest sum - £148m - went to Adrian and Gillian Bayford, from Haverhill, Suffolk, in August 2012.

The third biggest jackpot of £113m, in October 2010, was claimed by a winner who decided to remain anonymous.

British winners have claimed more than £4bn in prizes since EuroMillions draws began in 2004.

Based on the Sunday Times Rich List for 2013, Mr Trotter will become the 745th richest person in the UK, with a fortune that would narrowly outrank that of pop stars George Michael and Robbie Williams.


No comments:

Post a Comment