Monday, February 10, 2014

Freedom2014: 'I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free'

Freedom2014: 'I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free'

Human emotions can profoundly shape a musical performance - and in the mid 1960s, when Nina Simone recorded jazz pianist Billy Taylor's I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free, she helped to secure the song's place at the heart of the American civil rights movement.

But a decade later, in a live performance at Montreux in Switzerland, she redefined her interpretation of the anthem.

Here - for the BBC World Service's Freedom2014 Season - Candace Piette examines the song's origins and Nina Simone's emotional performances.

To see the enhanced content on this page, you need to have JavaScript enabled and Adobe Flash installed.

I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free is on the BBC World Service on Tuesday 11 February 2014 between 2000-2030 GMT.

All images subject to copyright. Additional images courtesy AP, Getty Images and Rex Features.

Audio by Candace Piette. Slideshow production by Paul Kerley. Publication date 10 February 2014.

More audio slideshows:

Martin Luther King: I Have a Dream revisited

The end of a Deep South way of life

How photographs told the story of the Vietnam War


No comments:

Post a Comment